Other Responsibilities

You are welcome to come into our office and search for vital and land records.
Birth & Death records start in 1880 and run through the end of 1920. We do not have any records between 1921 through 1941. They begin again in 1942 to the present.
Marriage records start in 1854 to the present.
Land records start in 1854.
We do not search these records, but would be glad to help you get started.
You are welcome to come in our vault and search or contact our local genealogy society.
Contacts for this information are (641) 743-6120, greenpl@iowatelecom.net and mclayton@iowatelecom.net.

E-911 for Rural Signs and Maps
Our Co-coordinators for rural 911 address signs and maps are Richard Wallace, Courthouse Custodian and Joni Raper, part-time Recorder clerk.
To apply for a rural 911 address return to our office a completed attached application and $100.00 payment.

Information Needed for 911 Address

Our co-coordinators will then process the application. The mapping company will issue the new number, Joni will then notify you of your new address by mail and/or phone, and Richard Wallace will install the sign.

911 maps are available in the below sizes:
Small maps 17.5″ x 20″
Medium maps 31″ x 36″
Large maps 41″ x 36″
*Option to purchase maps with Fire Districts
Contact our office with any questions.

Military Service Records
Military discharge papers (DD 214’s) may be filed in the Adair County Recorder’s office. An original or certified copy is needed for filing purposes.

If you wish to request a certified copy of a military discharge, please complete and return the application. This may be done in person or through the mail. Please send a photo copy of your driver’s license if mailing. Entitlement has to be proven before a certified copy can be issued. There is no charge to record or obtain a certified copy of a military record.

Application for Certified Copy of Military Records