- County vital records are regulated by the Iowa Department of Public Health by state laws and administrative rules.
- Certified copies may be obtained by mail or in person only if the application is completely filled out and notarized. You also need to include a copy of your government photo ID and proof of entitlement to the record requested. Our office accepts checks or money orders through the mail.
Birth records are available between the years of 1881 through 1920. We do not have any birth records between the years of 1921 to 1941. Our records start again in 1942 to present. Statewide certified copies of birth certificates can now be obtained through our office for 1986 to the present, for births in any Iowa county. Older birth requests still need to be sent to the county of birth.
Death records are available between the years 1881 through 1920. We do not have death records between the years of 1921 to 1941. Our records start again in 1942 to the present. Statewide certified copies of death certificates can now be obtained through our office for 1954 to the present, for deaths in any Iowa county.
Marriage records are available for years 1854 to the present. Statewide certified copies of marriage certificates can now be obtained through our office for 1954 to the present, for marriages in any Iowa county.
Certified Copies of Birth, Marriage & Death Certificates
Certified copies are available to only those with entitlement. (i.e. person named on the record (18 or older), mother or father (if named on record), spouse, brother or sister (if 18 or older), maternal grandparents and paternal grandparents (if the father is named on record), children or legal representatives with the entitlement of proof of blood relation or representation may be required.
Direct and Tangible Interest to a Certified Copy
To receive a certified copy of an Adair County Vital Record:
- Complete Application for Certified Copy form which is required to be signed in front of a notary public; and
- Provide a copy of a current Driver’s License or other current government photo ID; and
- Submit a $15 check or money order to:
Adair County Recorder/Registrar
Adair County Courthouse
400 Public Sq. Ste. 6
Greenfield, IA 50849